gpsd-dev

Re: [Git][gpsd/gpsd][master] gegps: Simplify open() fix.

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Git][gpsd/gpsd][master] gegps: Simplify open() fix.
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:00:13 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> Yo Fred!
>
> I jumped t the exact same wrong conclusion as you did when I first saw this.
>
> We'll all be happy when Python 2 is finally, dead, buried, and its zombie
> killed.

As Dr. Strangelove famously said, all that is required is the vill to do
it.  But seriously, we care about python 2.7 in gpsd because we have
chosen to care.  It seems quite possible to just decide to stop, and
tell people who want to use python 2.7 their luck has run out.  Which is
"if you need support for 2.7, you should hire a consultant and not
expect us to do it."

Perhaps April 1, 2024 would be a good time.  That will be 4 years after
the last release, and 9 years after 2015, the original sunset date that
was announced in 2008.

  https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/

Generally, I have almost entirely stopped using anything in python 2.7.
It gets pulled in for builds for a few crufty packages that use it as
part of their build system.   The real straggler is gimp with gtk2.

Are there actual people using recent gpsd with python 2.7?  Could they
speak up and explain why?