gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] UBX-TIM-TP on F9T?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] UBX-TIM-TP on F9T?
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 10:14:55 -0700

Yo Anders!

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 08:05:52 +0300
Anders Wallin <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > But how do I now check the PPS using ppswatch/ppstest? I
> > > don's see a /dev/pps0 or similar.
> >
> > If you run gpsd on the serial port, it does the ldattach dance for
> > you and creates the /dev/ppsX for you.
> > Otherwise, nothing changed, you run the ppsXXX programs on the
> > device with the PPS.
> >

> I don't see a /dev/ppsX.

Is gpsd running when you check?

> This works: $ sudo ppscheck /dev/gps1

"sudo" will do you in.  Best not to do that.

> # Seconds  nanoSecs   Signals
>  1570596971.100102179 TIOCM_CD
>  1570596972.000112325
>  1570596972.100188074 TIOCM_CD
>  1570596973.000150596

Good, but what does /dev/gps1 point to?  Is that to a ttyUSBx, or ttySx, or?

> but this doesn't (?)
> $ sudo ppswatch /dev/gps1
> trying PPS source "/dev/gps1"
> cannot create a PPS source from device "/dev/gps1" (Operation not
> supported)

Which raises the same question again.

And you fail to mention is gpsd is running at that instant, or not.

> > If gpsd is running, then it has created the /dev/ppsX for you:
> >

> I don't see anything with ppsfind, for some reason:

ppsfind is part of the pps-tools package.  The gpsd INSTALL file told you
to install that package.

That is one reason why I keep asking you for the output of your install.

> $ ls -l gps1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct  8 11:52 gps1 -> ttyUSB1

Ah, finally.  A bunch of different drivers can create ttyUSB1.  Which one
are you using?

Since your gpsd does find your PPS, that part must be installed correctly.

> $ sudo ppsfind /dev/ttyUSB1
> (no output)

1) stop using "sudo"
2) with gpsd running, or not?

But, this is a distraction, gpsd already sees your PPS just fine, so
you know that part works.  All we are debugging here is your understanding
of the tools available to you.

> > > This might be related to the cycle-start detector warning I see on
> > > gpsd? gpsd:WARN: cycle-start detector failed.
> > > (repeated once per second)
> > > any ideas?
> >
> > Why is your cycle start filing?  What is your sentence mix?  How
> > did you configure your GNSS receiver?
> >

> Turning up debug-level on gpsd, it looks like the pps-signal is
> handled twice, PROG-output PPS and TPPS.

Yes.  There are actually PPS from different sources (TPPS and KPPS).  So
that is a good thing.

> This might explain the repeated PPS-JSON that the python client
> receives?

No.  They get merged before the PPS JSON is sent.

You already showed that gpspipe did not see doubles.  The problem is
likely in your program.

> I don't know what causes the cycle-start warning.
> The F9T config should be close to default.

Best not to guess, bestr to know.  Just force to the default:

    # ubxtool -p RESET

Do that while gpsd is running.

RGDS
GARY