gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD as root cannot receive PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD as root cannot receive PPS
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:38:59 -0700

Yo Sara!

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:06:44 +0000
Sara Costa Freitas <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to configure chrony in Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel
> 4.15.0-52-generic), using a GPS source and a PPS pulse. I know that I
> have the PPS pulse, as I can see it using ppstest or ppscheck,
> however, if I start the gpsd as sudo, GPSD returns the error
> "gpsd:INFO: KPPS:/dev/ttyXR6 kernel PPS timeout unknown error", and
> if I try to do the ppscheck I get the following error "PPS
> ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) failed: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for device".

What kind of driver produces /dev/ttyXR6?  PPS is very dependent on the
serial driver.  The ioctl() failure is very troubling.

> If I run GPSD with sudo:

sudo is a nightmare.  Avoid at all costs.  But not your problem here.

How EXACTLY did you start gpsd?

>   *   Chrony is able to sync and receive the GPS data
>   *   GPSD is not able to collect PPS data

> If I run GPSD without sudo:

gpsd needs root.  sudo does NOT give you full root.  But may not be
the problem here.

>   *   Chrony don't sync with GPS or PPS
>   *   GPSD receives GPS and PPS information

Uh, what?  Did you try to have both chronyd and gpsd access the same PPS
at the same time?

>   *   ntpshmmon shows info from NTP2 and NTP3

What kind of info?

> GPSD version: 3.19

Compiled how?  With what options?

> Does anyone have this type of problem?

PPS is a bit tricky as things have to be just right to work.  We
need a LOT more details to know what you did.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588