gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] GPSD as root cannot receive PPS

From: Sara Costa Freitas
Subject: [gpsd-users] GPSD as root cannot receive PPS
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:06:44 +0000

Hello,

I am trying to configure chrony in Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel 4.15.0-52-generic), using a GPS source and a PPS pulse. I know that I have the PPS pulse, as I can see it using ppstest or ppscheck, however, if I start the gpsd as sudo, GPSD returns the error "gpsd:INFO: KPPS:/dev/ttyXR6 kernel PPS timeout unknown error", and if I try to do the ppscheck I get the following error "PPS ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) failed: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for device".

If I run GPSD with sudo:

  • Chrony is able to sync and receive the GPS data
  • GPSD is not able to collect PPS data

If I run GPSD without sudo:

  • Chrony don't sync with GPS or PPS
  • GPSD receives GPS and PPS information
  • ntpshmmon shows info from NTP2 and NTP3

GPSD version: 3.19

Chrony version: 3.5

Does anyone have this type of problem?

Best regards