gpsd-users

Re: gpsd_json(5) and cgps seem to differ

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd_json(5) and cgps seem to differ
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 12:07:15 -0700

Yo Bryan!

On Fri, 9 Jun 2023 16:07:46 +1200
Bryan Christianson <bryan@whatroute.net> wrote:

> I have noticed that values I am seeing in the S and PRN columns of
> cgps seem to be at odds with the descriptions of the SKY/satellite
> fields 'svid' and 'PRN' as reported at gpsd_json(5)
> https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd_json.html.

Care to be more specific about what you think is off?

> Also - I think the numbers in the S column should be right justified.
> They're all squished up against the GNSS column. Not sure if this a
> macOS artefact or something easily fixed in cgps.

This is intentional.  Some of the spaces you see are placeholders for
other things that multiband receeivers report.  It is the only way the
data can fit in 80 cols.

> My receiver is a very cheap no-brand USB ubox-7 device and maybe this
> is the cause of the problem.

Nope.  Currently a lot users of gpsd are using some flavor of u-blox.

> | Time         2023-06-09T03:56:03.000Z (18)││GNSS  S PRN  Elev  Azim

Looks good to me.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588