gpsd-users

Re: gpsd_json(5) and cgps seem to differ

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd_json(5) and cgps seem to differ
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 14:36:57 -0700

Yo Bryan!

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 08:41:06 +1200
Bryan Christianson <bryan@whatroute.net> wrote:

> In the gpsd_json manpage the description for PRN is 'PRN ID of the
> satellite. 1-63 are GNSS satellites, 64-96 are GLONASS satellites,
> 100-164 are SBAS satellites'

That is correct, but incomplete.  Sadly, PRN is not standardized.
And "native PRN" gets confused with "NMEA PRN", and vendor specific PRNs.

Even NMEA changes their mind from version to version.

PRN is effectively obsolete, you should start thinking in terms of
GNSSid and SVid.

> The cgps output I posted has:

Yes.

> SB134    47  47.0   5.0   0.0  N │
>
> I expected the PRN for SB satellites to be in the range 100-164

134 is between 100-164.  134 is the "native PRN".

> It's a discrepancy between gpsd and the documentation. I'm not sure
> which is correct.

They are correct and consistent.  As much as they can be since there is
no standardization of "PRN".

I'll look at gpsd_json

RGDS
GARY