Re: [Groff] Line fragments with .TS and .PSPIC

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] Line fragments with .TS and .PSPIC
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:34:21 -0400

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 09:33:43PM +0200, Bernd Warken wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> schrieb am 22.08.05 16:26:08:
> >
> > > Isn't there a possibility to change `groff' such that it is not
> > > necessary to redefine .TS and .TE?
> >
> > Please elaborate.
>
> The `groff' .TS and .TE could be such that the text goes around a table in a
> nice way.  Maybe you could use your redefinitions in the original
> definitions.  I hope that I understood that right.

Provided that this is what the user wants.  I always want my
tables just where I put them, and I certainly don't want new
macros to suddenly change the page layout of old books or papers.
I'm all for having this capability available, but let's make sure
it doesn't ``break'' existing documents.  Even a heuristic such
as ``flow data around the table if the text before doesn't end a
sentence'' may not be what someone wants.  Perhaps a different
macro, or a new argument to .TS to invoke the behavior is what we
want.

Or am I just misunderstanding what you're asking for here?

jcs