[Groff] source files with same name

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: [Groff] source files with same name
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:39:34 +0100

Hi,

One thing is not comfortable when working with the groff sources: the
existence of several source files with the same basename.

$ find . -name common.cpp
./src/libs/libbib/common.cpp
./src/preproc/pic/common.cpp
$ find . -name input.cpp
./src/libs/libdriver/input.cpp
./src/roff/troff/input.cpp
$ find . -name lex.cpp
./src/preproc/eqn/lex.cpp
./src/preproc/pic/lex.cpp
$ find . -name main.cpp
./src/preproc/eqn/main.cpp
./src/preproc/grn/main.cpp
./src/preproc/pic/main.cpp
./src/preproc/tbl/main.cpp

$ find . -name device.h
./src/devices/xditview/device.h
./src/include/device.h
$ find . -name token.h
./src/preproc/refer/token.h
./src/roff/troff/token.h

The problem that it is causing me is that in the Eclipse 3.1 IDE that I'm
using, when I start the 'troff' program under the debugger, the IDE wants
to show me a breakpoint in src/roff/troff/input.cpp, but for some reason
it shows src/libs/libdriver/input.cpp, which doesn't even contain the
line where the breakpoint is.

The source of the problem appears to be that the ELF binary format used
on Linux contains only the basenames of the source files in the debugging
information. I.e. _every_ IDE must have the same problem, unless you tell
it explicitly which input.cpp is used in which of groff's executables.

Can you make it more comfortable to work with the groff sources, by
renaming some of the files? For example, src/roff/troff/input.cpp could be
renamed to troffinput.cpp. I did this renaming in my local copy of the
sources, and can now debug "troff".

Bruno