Re: [Groff] Refer Usage Question

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] Refer Usage Question
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:52:02 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
(and to be fair, it _is_ in the manpage of refer and one can
understand that passage without making it a project of it's own --
which is not the case with other parts of the manpage, I'm afraid
:-)

Friends, since I don't use refer, I have no real chance by myself to
improve the documentation.  I would be *really* glad if people work on
this, probably providing a sample document also which shows most of
the possible effects.

    Werner

promise: that really was not meant as criticism of any kind, rather as my assessment of the state of affairs in this special case: there is a manpage and part of it you (meaning: I) can understand easily. but I got the message. so I'll keep that one, mark it as 'todo' and maybe I give it a try if I find the time (usual caveat, that).

and while I'm writing anyway: does anybody know how to handle the following situation:

source:
========
Miller et al.
.[
miller01
.]
did it wrong and John Doe, too.
.[
Doe02
.]

result:
=======
Miller et al[2]. did it wrong and John Doe, too[2].

I use the "move-punctuation" refer command so that references at sentence ends are moved before the point. in the above example the same, of course, happens at the abbreviation and it's not desired there.

question: is there a way to enforce individually whether the reference is moved or not (i.e. can one overrule the 'move-punctuation' command on a per-reference basis)?

regards,

joerg