Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:27:24 +0200 (CEST)

> Example text should read:
> Příliš žluťoučký kůň úpěl ďábelské ódy.
>
> with iconv '-futf8' '-tlatin2', pipe to groff, doesn't complain:
> Píli lu»ouký k úpl ábelské ódy.

But this is not correct usage.  groff internally uses latin1 encoding.
If you really want to use latin2, you must explicitly load the proper
macro package which maps latin2 encoding to encoding-independent
representation forms (\[..] constructs):

  cat cz \
  | iconv -f utf8 -t latin2 \
  | groff -mlatin2 -Tutf8

However, if you replace the `-Tutf8' backend with `-Tps', you get a
bunch of warnings because the standard PS fonts don't have all
necessary glyphs.

Instead of using an external iconv program or an old legacy encoding,
I recommend groff's `preconv' preprocessor (option `-k' or `-K enc')
which converts input in various encodings into groff's internal
character representation:

  cat cz \
  | groff -k -Tutf8

Much easier, much shorter.