Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts

From: Petr Man
Subject: Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:19:26 +0200

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 18:27, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> But this is not correct usage.  groff internally uses latin1 encoding.

> However, if you replace the `-Tutf8' backend with `-Tps', you get a
> bunch of warnings because the standard PS fonts don't have all
> necessary glyphs.
>
> Instead of using an external iconv program or an old legacy encoding,
> I recommend groff's `preconv' preprocessor (option `-k' or `-K enc')
> which converts input in various encodings into groff's internal
> character representation:
>
>  cat cz \
>  | groff -k -Tutf8
>
> Much easier, much shorter.
Werner,
that is very much what I would like to use. And I tried, I actually
use it always by default, but I still end up with missing characters.
You didn't have by any chance have a look at the file/fonts I mailed
you off-list? I suspect I simply didn't convert them correctly, but I
have no idea what could be wrong. As I previously wrote, I used the
method from mom's manual.
Petr