Re: [Groff] Moving the footer up in ms

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Moving the footer up in ms
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:40:58 -0400

Timothy Groves wrote:

> Is there a way to move the footer up within the footer margin when using ms?
> By default, groff+ms places the footer halfway down the footer margin, which
> is not what I want, but any attempt to move it up by inserting a .sp -x in
> .BT either results in an error [ fatal error: input stack limit exceeded
> (probable infinite loop) ]  or else produces a smear of footers.  This leads
> me to think that the .sp order is causing the footer macro to re-issue.  Any
> suggestions?

You're correct: the infinite loop occurs because you're moving up above the
pg*footer trap. Since pg*footer calls .BT, and you're spacing up, it gets
called again (and again, and again…). So redefining .BT isn't sufficient. You
have to adjust the traps.

Footer placement is governed by two vertical traps in s.tmac:

.wh -\n[FM]u address@hidden
.wh -\n[FM]u/2u pg*footer

So it should be possible to pull the footer up by changing the pg*footer trap
(untested):

.ch pg*footer -\n[FM]u/4u*3u\" place the footer 1/4 of the way down in the
margin

Note that .ch reverses the order of the parameters from .wh — and that should
do what you need.

-- Larry