Re: [Groff] mm TC - how to place in the beginning of document?

From: Deri
Subject: Re: [Groff] mm TC - how to place in the beginning of document?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 23:32:32 +0000

On Saturday, 23 November 2019 14:02:26 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> The mom macros have a method of moving the table of contents with -Tpdf
> that depends on gropdf(1)'s .pdfpagename and .pdfswitchtopage.  (Deri,
> I don't think they're documented?)  mom uses them with the page name
> MOM:TOC.  Perhaps mm, or an mm user, could also benefit from them for
> .TC.  Hard to say without more investigation.

Apologies for the oversite, I will be adding this to the man page for gropdf.

     \X'pdf: pagename name
             This gives the current page a name.

             There  are  two default names for any document which do not need
             to be declared ‘top’ and ‘bottom’.

             The convenience command for this is .pdfpagename.

      \X'pdf: switchtopage when name
             Normally each new page is appended to the end of  the  document,
             this  command allows following pages to be inserted at a ‘named’
             position within  the  document  (see  pagename  command  above).
             ‘when’  can be either ‘after’ or ‘before’.  If it is ommitted it
             defaults to ‘before’.

             The convenience command for this is .pdfswitchtopage.  It should
             be  used  at  the  end of the page before you want the switch to
             happen.

             This allows pages such as a TOC to be moved to elsewhere in  the
             document, but more esoteric uses are possible.

Also I attach an example using the calls to relocate a pseudo TOC. Note that
the definitions of PDFTARGET and PDFLINK are based on the equivalent
definitions in the om.tmac file. Just to make less typing.

Note that the TOC page is moved to after the title page, and all the clickable
links in the TOC still work properly. Also, although it looks like the TOC
page contains forward references it can be produced with just a standard:-

groff -T pdf switch.trf

Rather than having to do multiple passes to resolve forward references.

Cheers

Deri