contributing to groff

From: Rob Kolstad
Subject: contributing to groff
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 14:07:50 -0700

G'day.  I am a longtime troff user (1978-pres). I have some facility
with the system, see:
http://rbk.delosent.com/2021-06-rmc-1.pdf
http://rbk.delosent.com/2021-03-rmc-3.pdf
for two recent examples of the quarterly magazine I edit and
publish for the Rocky Mountain caving community. Typeset
entirely in troff, I have written a front-end that eases the placement
of pictures and a few other aspects of creating a magazine.

I used to keep a copy of the original troff manual on my desk for
occasional re-reading, finding a new tidbit every time (annoying
to me, but such is life).  I recently bit the bullet and printed (and
bound) the 274 pages of the groff manual (1.22.4, 2018). I have
been slowly reading through it to absorb more of the `new stuff'
since GNU commenced enhancements lo these many years ago.

I'm hoping you might accept some assistance in cleaning up some
of the text. The driving paragraph that pushed me to try to find out
how to contribute was this one:

5.1.3 Sentences

Although it is often debated, some typesetting rules say there should be
different amounts of space after various punctuation marks. For example,
the Chicago typesetting manual says that a period at the end of a sentence
should have twice as much space following it as would a comma or a period
as part of an abbreviation.

While there is plenty of debate, I am unable to find anything called
the "Chicago typesetting manual". I presume that's supposed to be
the *Chicago Manual of Style*. They changed that particular advice
more than a quarter century ago.

I have other comments far more nit-picky, but perhaps helpful.

How do I send in suggestions (changes)?  I can't imagine this
document has a high rate of change, given its publication date.

Hoping I can help,
RK
            /\      Rob Kolstad                                 Delos
     /\    /  \     rob.kolstad@gmail.com   15235 Roller Coaster Road
    /  \/\/    \    +1 719 481 6542        Colorado Springs, CO 80921
   /    \ \     \                              Phone: +1 719 481 6542