Updates to groff's Savannah Categories and Item Groups

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Updates to groff's Savannah Categories and Item Groups
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:01:11 +1100

Hi folks,

I've done some tweaking to groff's Savannah classifications to help us
manage issues better.  Some time I ago I complained that I found some of
the boundaries fuzzy or confusing.  I hope that the following are
clearer.

An aspect of Savannah that aggrieves me is that I can't see any way for
mere mortal users to look up how the project-customizable fields like
Category and Item Group are defined.  This would be really helpful to
diligent bug submitters, but it seems like the information is locked up
behind the administrator's interface.  That's a real shame.  (Maybe
there _is_ a way, but the Web UI has defeated me in locating it.  The
mouse tooltips--not even available when browsing with Lynx, for
example--only pop-up generic information, not the descriptions that
project administrators can modify.  Please follow up if you have
relevant knowledge.)

I am therefore sharing screen grabs and text dumps of how these things
look to me in Savannah when my administrator bit is on.

First, a backgrounder on the meanings of the fields themselves.  This
information actually _is_ available in tooltip pop-ups.

Field Label        Description                                   Scope
Category           Generally high level modules or               Project
                   functionalities of the software (e.g. User
                   interface, Configuration Manager, etc)
Severity           Impact of the item on the system (Critical,   System
                   Major,...)
Item Group         Characterizes the nature of the item (e.g.    Project
                   Crash Error, Documentation Typo,
                   Installation Problem, etc
Status             Current status of the item                    Project
Privacy            Determines whether the item can be seen by    System
                   members of the project only or anybody.
Open/Closed        Most basic status of the item: is the item    System
                   considered as dealt with or not.
Discussion Lock    Determines whether comments can still be      System
                   added to the item
Comment Type       Specify the nature of the follow up comment   Project
                   attached to this item
Planned Release    Release in which it is planned to have the    Project
                   item fixed
Canned Responses   Create or change generic quick response       Project
                   messages for this issue tracker. These pre-
                   written messages can then be used to
                   quickly reply to item submissions.

groff's Categories:

Value label                     Description   Rank   Status      Occurrences
Core                            groff,        0      Active      173
                                nroff,
                                troff,
                                libgroff
Device - others/general         also          0      Active      8
                                libdriver,
                                libxutil
Device grohtml                                0      Active      11
Device gropdf                                 0      Active      3
Device grops                                  0      Active      5
Font - others/general           also          0      Active      7
                                addftinfo,
                                hpftodit,
                                tfmtodit,
                                xtotroff
Font devpdf                                   0      Active      4
Font devps                      also          0      Active      7
                                afmtodit,
                                pfbtops
General                         issues that   0      Active      3
                                cut broadly
                                across the
                                source
                                tree, or
                                build
                                system
Macro - others/general                        0      Active      56
Macro man                                     0      Active      43
Macro mdoc                                    0      Active      25
Macro me                                      0      Active      42
Macro mm                                      0      Active      27
Macro mom                                     0      Active      18
Macro ms                                      0      Active      37
Preprocessor - others/general                 0      Active      6
Preprocessor eqn                              0      Active      2
Preprocessor grn                              0      Active      4
Preprocessor html                             0      Active      2
Preprocessor pic                              0      Active      11
Preprocessor preconv                          0      Active      12
Preprocessor refer              also          0      Active      5
                                indxbib,
                                lkbib,
                                lookbib,
                                libbib
Preprocessor soelim                           0      Active      2
Preprocessor tbl                              0      Active      20
Utilities                       eqn2graph,    0      Active      21
                                gdiffmk,
                                grap2graph,
                                grog,
                                pic2graph
None                                          10     Permanent   210

groff's Item Groups:

Value label           Description         Rank   Status      Occurrences
Build/Installation    A groff component   0      Active      68
                      provokes
                      diagnostics from
                      build or other
                      external tools,
                      or outright fails
                      to deploy.
Crash/Unresponsive    A groff component   0      Active      20
                      exhibits an
                      uncontrolled
                      exit, busy-waits,
                      loops infinitely,
                      or blocks
                      inappropriately.
Documentation         A groff component   0      Active      164
                      is incorrectly or
                      inadequately
                      documented.
Feature change        Some user-visible   0      Active      130
                      interface or
                      program should be
                      added, deleted,
                      or significantly
                      modified.  These
                      could be NEWS
                      items.
Incorrect behaviour   One or more groff   0      Active      207
                      components
                      doesn't perform
                      correctly.
Lint                  Some detail of      0      Active      0
                      groff is
                      unfastidious,
                      such as non-
                      confusing typos
                      in documentation,
                      code style nits,
                      or
                      inconsequential
                      excess white
                      space.  These are
                      things that do
                      not warrant a
                      ChangeLog entry
                      absent a Savannah
                      ticket.
Rendering/Cosmetics   The formatted       0      Active      5
                      output of a groff
                      documentation
                      component is
                      ugly, but not
                      incorrect and not
                      misrendered.
Test                  A test program      0      Active      8
                      yields false
                      results or must
                      be upgraded.
Warning/Suspicious    A groff component   0      Active      66
behaviour             issues a
                      surprising
                      diagnostic
                      message, or fails
                      to do so when it
                      should.
None                                       10    Permanent   96