Re: Multiline Subject as PDF metadata

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Multiline Subject as PDF metadata
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 23:31:01 +0000

On Friday, 28 January 2022 21:29:35 GMT Dave Kemper wrote:
> As a side issue, it looks like the .pdfinfo macro mentioned in this
> thread is un(der)documented.
>
> It's documented in the pdfmark documentation
> (contrib/pdfmark/pdfmark.ms), but it seems to apply to any document
> rendered with groff's -Tpdf option, not just ones using the pdfmark
> package, as the macro itself is defined in pdf.tmac.  Comments in this
> tmac file give a usage statement and examples for .pdfinfo, but this
> is not where users are likeliest to find it.
>
> It isn't documented in the current gropdf man page, which is where I'd
> first think to look.  This man page documents a number of PDF-specific
> commands recognized by the \X escape, but no macros, although pdf.tmac
> defines several that appear intended to be user-facing.
>
> Am I overlooking something, or is this a documentation shortfall?

The pdfmark.pdf file documents the macros for using pdf features. If you are
using -T pdf you
don't need to include -mpdfmark, this is documented in the gropdf man page and
the
pdfmark.pdf is referenced.

There are a few subtle differences such as there being no need to call .pdfsync
(although no
harm if you do), and the -T flag to .pdfbookmark gives a specific target name
to the bookmark
which can then be used in the -D flag of a .pdfhref L internal link.

Also, there is a difference in the way to handle traps (header/footer), which
otherwise may be
included in a hotspot if the hotspot crosses a page break. This is documented
in gropdf man page
as .pdfmarksuspend and .pdfmarkrestart, which is an example where 'extra' .pdf
commands are
defined, which are specific to -Tpdf.