Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device produces mysterious characters

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device produces mysterious characters
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:20:21 -0500

On 9/12/22, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> wrote:
> Flags are different, because often you want this to be a U+2013
> EN DASH. Ie, you want to make it _longer_ than a hyphen-minus.

Not if you want it to paste correctly into a shell.  Commands use
U+002D for flags, not U+2013.

But for natural languages, U+002D is never the correct choice.
Typographically there's no such thing as a "hyphen minus" (or at least
wasn't until we needed to be able to render this hybrid character for
programming contexts): a traditional typesetter used a hyphen, or a
minus, or one of the various lengths of dashes.

Groff has converted an input U+002D to a proper hyphen in typeset
output for decades.  It has done so in UTF-8 output since at least
groff 1.19.2.  If you're seeing newly changed behavior, can you post
specific example input, along with what output you see in a previous
version of groff and what different output you see now?