Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device produces mysterious characters

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device produces mysterious characters
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:14:17 +0200

Ralph Corderoy wrote in
 <20220914071616.2E89021EFD@orac.inputplus.co.uk>:
 |Hi Steffen,

 |>> Those ASCII ‘-’ above should be rendered as a hyphen in nicely
 |>> typeset output.  An en-dash is far too big.  Oh, there's another
 |>> one!
 |> But i was talking -Tutf8, and these are fixed width font
 |
 |Given we use terminal emulators on pixel-based devices and our choice
 |of font, I still see a significant difference with

Indeed here you make a point dear Ralph, terminals with stretchy
fonts can be a visual sensation.  The guys (of the Linux distro)
here on IRC "go viral" for alacritty, an OpenGL accelerated
terminal written in Rust (many on Wayland / sway), i think
"it can".  I once used such a thing, Microsoft Word 2.0 on
Windows 95B, it was funny how the text flowed, maybe i could
have parked my car in the inter-word spaces even.  Now i use st
with X resource support patch (5504 12892 0 Sep12 tty1 00:00:41
st -n stgrey -t accu, i find 41 seconds a bit heavy for that
little work).

 |    $ troff -Tutf8 <<<'Re-sort with \-u.' | grotty | grep .
 |    Re‐sort with −u.
 |    $
 |
 |The hyphen is narrower so doesn't crash into the following rune.  It also
 |sits at a different height.  Whereas the option's dash is heavier and

Here too.  (Font is Liberation Mono.)
Yeah, look at that hyphen, it got it stickin' in the camera man.
We could have some.

 |more noticeable, as it should be given its significance.

Goodbye Piccadilly!

--steffen