Re: using the SS (slanted symbol) font with gropdf

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: using the SS (slanted symbol) font with gropdf
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 11:10:35 +1100

"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> writes:

evince also complains. Apart from the usual handful of Gtk-WARNING and Gtk-CRITICAL diagnostics, because cool kids like GNOME developers never look at the standard error stream ("terminal window? what would I need
that for?"), I get this.

some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed
some font thing failed

One might, at this point, begin to appreciate why I'm such a cranky old
bastard about diagnostic messages being informative.

As a cranky old bat on this topic myself, i just had to take a few minutes to find the source of this effort to further lower the bar of error message quality. It turns out it's coming from Poppler, not Evince, in CairoFontEngine.cc:

   fprintf(stderr, "some font thing failed\n");

Alexis.