Re: using the SS (slanted symbol) font with gropdf

From: Deri
Subject: Re: using the SS (slanted symbol) font with gropdf
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 01:41:57 +0000

On Saturday, 26 November 2022 20:23:22 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> This is probably of most interest to Deri but I thought I'd send it to
> the list.
>
> This is kind of a follow-up to a message from July.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2022-07/msg00145.html
>
> I'm playing with using the PostScript slanted symbol font ("SS") with
> gropdf.

Hi Branden,

I have looked at the SS font now.

It is not included in devpdf because symbolsl.pfa is not a type 1 postscript
font! It is a postscript program which generates a font when run by a
postscript interpreter. The gropdf man page does say you can only use it with
type 1 fonts. If you view the file you will see it is significantly different
from other pfa files on your system.

I don't think it is unreasonable for gropdf to barf over its contents, and
viewers to barf as well. A reasonable error message when consuming a non type
1 file would be desirable. :-)

Cheers

Deri