Using eqn on a Unix like system

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Using eqn on a Unix like system
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:39:20 +1000 (AEST)

The current user guide has words to this effect shown below.

My questions:

a)      I deliberately do not want to force my style on anybody. Others
        may think it dated or awkward.

b)      How do people use heirloom troff, neatroff and groff in
        the style of writing as seen below? Contributions welcome.

c)      What do I do about talking about TYPESETTER or GROFF_TYPESETTER
        or do I just refer people to a manual entry.  What is the quality
        of that for neatroff or heirloom troff?

d)      What are the names of the target devices for the various flavours?
        Obviously I know the answer for groff.  Any examples?

Do I need to talk about displaying the output or printing the output, in
terms of things like Acrobat readers and printing commands?

Those User Guide words are something like:

To print a document that contains mathematics,

        eqn files | troff

If there are any troff options, they go after the part of the command.
For example,

        eqn files | troff -ms
or
        eqn files | troff -mm -rO2c -rW17c

The default target device is Postscript.

Because eqn assumes the output is aimed at a PostScript device. if using a
device other than a typesetter or printer, then eqn may have to be passed the
same -T argument, that is used with troff:

        eqn -T???? files | troff -T????

When eqn is used with the tbl program for setting tables that contain
mathematics, use tbl BEFORE eqn like this

        tbl files | eqn | troff ...

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer