Re: widows vs orphans

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: widows vs orphans
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 21:11:23 +0200

> What do our resident typographers regard as a widow and an orphan?

Not an expert, but I thought the mnemonic was that orphans
become isolated at the beginning of their lives, and widows
at the end of their lives.  Correspondingly, an orphan is the
first line of a paragraph that gets separated from the rest
of the paragraph, and a widow is the last line of a paragraph
that gets separated from the rest of the paragraph.