Re: widows vs orphans

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: widows vs orphans
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:10:41 -0400

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023, Dave Kemper wrote:
> ...web research has led me to conclude that there's a stronger
> consensus than Wikipedia credits: that orphans are at page bottom
> and widows at page top.

> What do our resident typographers regard as a widow and an orphan?

Without wanting to be presscriptive about something so touchy, I
learned the following when I was an apprentice typesetter: "Widows
have no future and orphans have no past."  A single word at the
bottom of the page has no "future" words afterwards; a single word
at the top of the page has no "past" words preceding it.

Cheers.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca