grub-devel

Clear background in GNU/Linux (was: Request for a feature)

From: Paul Menzel
Subject: Clear background in GNU/Linux (was: Request for a feature)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 10:27:16 +0200

Dear Brian,

Am 12.06.20 um 02:33 schrieb Brian Kaye:
I have been able to have grub2 display a background image on my
fedora linux system. It works as long as I don't use secure boot.
After I have my selection the image remains on the screen until the
boot is complete and I see a login screen. Fedora adds a spinner
during this process. What I would like to see is the framebuffer
cleared to black (zeroed??) similar to the code in
gfxterm_background.c
if (grub_gfxterm_background.bitmap)
     {
       grub_video_bitmap_destroy (grub_gfxterm_background.bitmap);
       grub_gfxterm_background.bitmap = 0;
       grub_gfxterm_background.blend_text_bg = 0;

       /* Mark whole screen as dirty.  */
       grub_gfxterm_schedule_repaint ();
     }

Just don't know where to put the code and what the real code would be.

I do not fully understand, what you want to accomplish.

But, you can disable ACPI BGRT in the Linux kernel with by adding `bgrt_disable` to the Linux command line.

Otherwise, you should probably look into Plymouth, on how to configure the background in GNU/Linux [1].

[…]

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/plymouth