Re: why doesn't gimp use guile?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: why doesn't gimp use guile?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:14:49 -0500

    when people install GNU software, it tends to start w/ gzip or bash, so
    why doesn't someone extend one of them using guile?  do the maintainers
    reject such contributions?

How could  you improve Bash or  Gzip using Guile where  the new features
outweight the cost of depending on Guile?

Keep  in mind  that Bash's  and  Gzip's sizes  are about  1.8m and  0.2m
respectively and  you'd make them depend  on a 2.9m package  (I'm taking
the sizes  from the source  code tarballs, the installed  sizes probably
vary but these numbers should give an idea).

If I was the maintainer the new features would have to be very important
for  me to  be willing  to  accept them  (unless, of  course, they  were
completely optional:  usable if Guile  is installed and  unharmful bloat
when it is not).

And  then,  if  the  contributions  are  entirely  optional,  what  have
we  achieved?  Will  the  distributors bundle  their default  shell/gzip
depending on Guile?

Don't  get  the   idea  that  I  want  to  stop   Guile  from  becomming
widespread: I'd  like that  very much.   I'm just  trying to  think like
those maintainers/distributors probably do.  :)

    when i read my old code, i find it pleasant when it is either scheme
    or  elisp, sort  of so-so  w/ sh  and C,  out of  sorts w/  perl and
    python, and wretched and tormented w/ C++. ymmv of course.

Wow, this  is a very interesting  thought: the quality of  a programming
language is measured by how pleasant one  finds one's own code on it one
year later. :)

Thanks.

Alejo, who is already late for his abstract algebra class.
http://bachue.com/alejo

--
The mere formulation of a problem is far more essential than its solution.
      -- Albert Einstein.

$0='!/sfldbi!yjoV0msfQ!sfiupob!utvK'x44;print map{("\e[7m \e[0m",chr ord
(chop$0)-1)[$_].("\n")[++$i%77]}split//,unpack'B*',pack'H*',($F='F'x19).
"F0F3E0607879CC1E0F0F339F3FF399C666733333CCF87F99E6133999999E67CFFCCF3".
"219CC1CCC033E7E660198CCE4E66798303873CCE60F3387$F"#Don't you love Perl?