Re: why doesn't gimp use guile?

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: why doesn't gimp use guile?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:15:47 -0500

    > In practice,  however, there are  way too many  Gnome applications
    > that should use a real extension language but use XML instead.

    Huh?  XML is not a language, it's a format.  It's pure syntax.

    [...]

    XML is used in Gnome for configuration files and application data files.
    It is not used as an extension language.

Okay, replace XML for XML-based languages  in my post and read it again.
I'm  sorry to  have tought  it  was obvious  that I  was speaking  about
XML-based languages rather than just XML The Format.

My point is that MANY  persons are using XML-based custom-made languages
where  a  real  exntesion  language  should be  used:  rather  than  use
something such as  Guile to read and execute the  code, they use Gnome's
libXML to read it and simple C code to actually execute things.

    It makes a lot of sense to use XML for data and configuration files,
    because it *is*  such a standard, and it is  easy to interchange and
    convert.

I'm not so  sure for configuration files (though I  agree with you about
data).  There  are many situations  where I  think Scheme code  would be
a  lot  better than  XML,  since  you  could  "create" the  actual  data
dinamically.   Take, for  example,  Apache's configuration.   If it  was
based  in Scheme,  you could  have some  code that  generates your  2000
Virtual hosts dinamically as the file is read rather than having to keep
the list  updated (or  to invent yet  another custom-made  (XML-based or
not) extension language).

I am sorry if I confused you.

Alejo.
http://bachue.com/alejo

--
The mere formulation of a problem is far more essential than its solution.
      -- Albert Einstein.

$0='!/sfldbi!yjoV0msfQ!sfiupob!utvK'x44;print map{("\e[7m \e[0m",chr ord
(chop$0)-1)[$_].("\n")[++$i%77]}split//,unpack'B*',pack'H*',($F='F'x19).
"F0F3E0607879CC1E0F0F339F3FF399C666733333CCF87F99E6133999999E67CFFCCF3".
"219CC1CCC033E7E660198CCE4E66798303873CCE60F3387$F"#Don't you love Perl?