Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:48:42 +0100

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:45:59PM +0200, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>    From: address@hidden
>    Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:34:45 +0200
>
>    Uh, oh. What I'd like to see would be a `standard' regexp
>    interface for Scheme (and may be a `standard' regexp
>    implementation for Guile).
>
> supposedly scheme is more general than everything else so any
> (language) interface can be expressed in scheme.  by twisted
> scotch-addled analogy i posit there exists some super general
> regular expression engine upon which any (regexp engine)
> interface can be built.  maybe that would be librx, maybe not.

Hm. All our sins come back to haunt us ;-)

I had a more humble target: just have an interface (for which
we'd have to decide, among lots of other things, whether this
interface forbids higher levels in the Chomsky hierarchy and
enforces `true' regexps, as seems to be Tom's approach --and
he knows a lot about regexps--) or not).

Cheers
-- tomas