Re: xchat-guile 0.1 released

From: rm
Subject: Re: xchat-guile 0.1 released
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:27:26 +0200

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 05:51:37PM +0500, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Looks nice (from the documentation)
>
>    Thanks.
>
> > but when i start xchat i get the
> > following error:
> >
> >  AutoLoad failed for: /usr/lib/xchat/plugins/guile.so
> >  /usr/lib/xchat/plugins/guile.so: undefined symbol: scm_lock_mutex
> >
> > My current guile is:
> >
> > guile --version
> >  Guile 1.6.7
> >  Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, ....
>
>     I have the same version of guile and it works for me. One other
> person who tried it and it was working for him as well is dsmith (Dale
> P. Smith).

"Works  for me" is almost always guaranteed to result in "breaks somewhere
else" :-)

> Maybe there is a problem with your installation? I am
> saying this as i just found out that there was a problem with my
> installations (guile and libguile were of different versions) atleast
> that i just corrected.

Depends on how you define "installation problem". The function scm_lock_mutex
seems only to exist when libguile was compiled with thread support - which it is
_not_ on Linux/PPC Ubuntu (probably the same on Debian) ...
The build script (makefile in disguise) has the following:

 # If you change this please change the debian/control qthreads entry and the
 # arch-specific .install targets below too.
 WORKING_QTHREADS_ARCHS := i386 alpha

 ifeq ($(findstring
${DEB_HOST_ARCH},${WORKING_QTHREADS_ARCHS}),${DEB_HOST_ARCH})
 ENABLE_THREADS := --with-threads=yes
 endif

So, no threads on Linux/PPC here.  Maybe you need to test  USE_THREADS  in
scmconfig.h?

 Cheers Ralf Mattes