Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:33:33 -0300

Hello,

> As far as I inderstand the Debian package manager mantains a package
> database. This is the place where it looks for installed packages. So,
> if I have a newer version of guile which is not installed through the
> package manager, the package manager will not know about it.

even if you are locked in a debian stable, you can, and you should in the case
of
guile really, install packages from testing, unstable and even experimental
[which
is not recommended unless you know what you are doing of course].

So:

        update your /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line with testing source
        update you /etc/preferences

                Package: *
                Pin: release a=stable
                Pin-Priority: 800

                Package: guile
                Pin: release a=testing
                Pin-Priority: 600

        aptitude update
        aptitude
                search for the guile-2.0 package aptitude entry
                press enter [Menu: Package -> information]
                select and install the testing version [2.0.11+1-1 as of today]

with that setting, aptitude|debian future updates will track and offer you to
update
the installed guile-2.0 testing package, while keeping everything else on
stable...
there are doc about that, duckduckgo for it...

Cheers,
David