Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:13:03 +0200

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Federico Beffa <address@hidden> wrote:
> David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> As far as I inderstand the Debian package manager mantains a package
>>> database. This is the place where it looks for installed packages. So,
>>> if I have a newer version of guile which is not installed through the
>>> package manager, the package manager will not know about it.
>>
>> even if you are locked in a debian stable, you can, and you should in the
>> case of
>> guile really, install packages from testing, unstable and even experimental
>> [which
>> is not recommended unless you know what you are doing of course].
>>
>> So:
>>
>>     update your /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line with testing source
>>     update you /etc/preferences
>>
>>         Package: *
>>         Pin: release a=stable
>>         Pin-Priority: 800
>>
>>         Package: guile
>>         Pin: release a=testing
>>         Pin-Priority: 600
>>
>>     aptitude update
>>     aptitude
>>         search for the guile-2.0 package aptitude entry
>>         press enter [Menu: Package -> information]
>>         select and install the testing version [2.0.11+1-1 as of today]
>>
>> with that setting, aptitude|debian future updates will track and offer you
>> to update
>> the installed guile-2.0 testing package, while keeping everything else on
>> stable...
>> there are doc about that, duckduckgo for it...
>>

> You convinced me that I should be fine using guile from testing.
>
> I've added the following lines in sources.list:
>
> deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> created /etc/apt/preferences.d/00-stable containing:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 800
>
> and created /etc/apt/preferences.d/20-guile containing:
>
> Package: guile
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> Now, before installing guile from testing, I wanted to check if I still
> get no updatable packages as a moment before doing the change:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude full-upgrade
>
> This tells me that the package libxnvctrl0 can be update. If I remove
> the testing entry from sources.list, then I get no updates. So, something
> is coming in from testing.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Fede

OK, I've found out by using "apt-cache policy package-name": I need to
lower the default priorities of packages from testing other than guile
with

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 10

Now I do not get other packages with "aptitude full-upgrade", but if I
pull in guile-2.0 from testing it wants to change several other
libraries:

$ sudo aptitude -t testing full-upgrade guile-2.0
  libffi6{a}
  guile-2.0 guile-2.0-libs libc6 libgc1c2 libgssapi-krb5-2
libk5crypto3 libkeyutils1
  libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libtirpc1 locales nfs-common
12 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1353 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.1 MB of archives. After unpacking 2,553 kB will be used.
 krb5-user : Depends: libkrb5-3 (= 1.10.1+dfsg-5+deb7u2) but
1.12.1+dfsg-9 is to be installed.
 libgc-dev : Depends: libgc1c2 (= 1:7.1-9.1) but 1:7.2d-6.3 is to be installed.
 libc6-i386 : Depends: libc6 (= 2.13-38+deb7u4) but 2.19-11 is to be installed.
 guile-2.0-dev : Depends: guile-2.0 (= 2.0.5+1-3) but 2.0.11+1-1 is to
be installed.
 libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.13-38+deb7u4) but 2.19-11 is to be installed.
 libc-dev-bin : Depends: libc6 (< 2.14) but 2.19-11 is to be installed.

I think I will just install guile 2.0.11 "manually".

Thanks for all the help!
Fede