guix-devel

Re: guix edit

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: guix edit
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:28:08 +0200

On 2015-06-16 22:26, address@hidden wrote:
While looking at another package manager for ideas to steal, I found
this one to be a good candidate:

  guix edit gcc-4.8

will open $EDITOR (aka. “emacsclient”) on the definition of that
package. This is pretty handy for developers (even when otherwise using
Geiser, I think.)

For “regular users,” it’s less useful because most of the time it will
open an immutable file.

It's nice, even in read-only mode, to explore how guix is made.

However, I envision a --clone option that would
create a file with a module declaration and a template like:

  (define my-gcc
    (package (inherit gcc)
      ;; Complete here...
      )

(This part is left as an exercise to the reader.)

WDYT?

A usecase, I have in mind from experience, is being in vm/container and having to edit the recipe for that specific vm *but* that recipe is in the main normal repository. Like for instance, gcc for a specific target. `guix edit gcc:4.5' should open or clone the correct recipe.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr