guix-devel

Re: guix edit

From: Eric Bavier
Subject: Re: guix edit
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 19:55:57 -0500

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:26:49 +0200
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> While looking at another package manager for ideas to steal, I found
> this one to be a good candidate:
>
>   guix edit gcc-4.8
>
> will open $EDITOR (aka. “emacsclient”) on the definition of that
> package.  This is pretty handy for developers (even when otherwise
> using Geiser, I think.)

I like it.  I was looking for this command just the other day.

> For “regular users,” it’s less useful because most of the time it will
> open an immutable file.  However, I envision a --clone option that
> would create a file with a module declaration and a template like:
>
>   (define my-gcc
>     (package (inherit gcc)
>       ;; Complete here...
>       )
>
> (This part is left as an exercise to the reader.)

;)

For immediate use, would we expect the user to save the file to a
directory in $GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH?  Perhaps we could initially open the
file in ~/.config/guix somewhere.

Somewhat related, I'm wondering if others might think it useful for the
recutils output from 'guix package --search' and 'guix package --show'
to print the full name of the file the package is in?

`~Eric