guix-devel

Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 15:47:35 +0200

Alex Vong <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I suppose it wouldn’t handle patch series very well though, would it?
>>> Or people would have to send the “cover letter” of the series first, and
>>> then send the rest to address@hidden once a number has been
>>> assigned?
>>
>> Or could we have a bug per module?  Then the whole patch series could be
>> sent to the bug id of the module.  But I guess this would make it harder
>> to keep track of individual package submissions again, because bug would
>> rarely ever be closed when there are lots of patches to the same module.
>>
> Yes, I think it will make it harder to keep track of individual
> package. Is there a way to configure git-sendmail to do what we want?
>
> Here is a related idea. If we were to send all packaging bug reports to
> a single package (e.g. guix-package), then it will make it impossible to
> browse from a web browser. The situation is similar to the slowness of
> our Packages page[0]. So instead of having a bug per module, should we
> have a package per module (e.g. guix-package-emacs, guix-package-maths,
> guix-package-shells ...)?

I think that wouldn’t scale, and would also prevent us to have a global
view of all the pending submissions (not to mention that debbugs.gnu.org
is administered by non-Guix people and they’d quickly be annoyed ;-)).

So, let’s ask for address@hidden (or address@hidden) to
begin with?

>>> What’s unclear to me is how convenient Debbugs is for non-Emacs users:
>>> Emacs has M-x debbugs-gnu, which is a significant UI improvement, but
>>> how do non-Emacs users deal with Debbugs?
>>
>> Outside of Emacs I only ever used Debbugs in read-only fashion.  The web
>> interface is not very pretty but it’s functional and looks better than
>> the default mailman interface.
>>
> Yes, it is still email-based. The web interface is read-only, you can
> search for bug reports in a package[1]. To reply to it, you send email
> to <address@hidden>. For non-emacs users, this means
> they have to use email client to communicate and web browser to search /
> read bugs.

Yeah well, better than the Mailman interface.

Thanks,
Ludo’.