guix-devel

Re: Cosmetical change: remove inconsistent "$file ends here"?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Cosmetical change: remove inconsistent "$file ends here"?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:32:04 +0200

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 11:30:41AM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
     ng0 (2016-09-24 20:00 +0000) wrote:

     > We should either be consistent with this in all files or remove this
     > altogether in my opinion.
     >
     >> address@hidden ~/src/guix/guix-no-changes$ egrep -nr "ends here"
     >> gnu/build/vm.scm:323:;;; vm.scm ends here
     > What do you think?

     I don't know what the original purpose of this convention is, it was
     probably invented in those ancient times when dinosaurs walked by
     streets, but I kinda like these "ends here" things :-)

     The only purpose I see in using them: you can be sure that there will
     not appear redundant newlines (introduced by untidy commits) in the end
     of files.

     Anyway, I vote for leaving them and adding the missing ones.

I have a better idea.  Let's remove these verbose messages, and write an API,
which is capable of opening and streaming files , we could call those functions
-
for example  - "fopen" and "fread".  But here comes the clever bit:   We also
provide a function - let's call it "feof".

This approach will have the advantage that we could use this API to write things
called "editors" which might display some user friendly string such as "End of
buffer"
when the end is encountered.

Once these tools are developed, we could inform the community that they no
longer
need to put the string "file ends here" at the end of their files.

WDYT ?

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3