guix-devel

Re: Cosmetical change: remove inconsistent "$file ends here"?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Cosmetical change: remove inconsistent "$file ends here"?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:38:09 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:30:41 +0300
Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't know what the original purpose of this convention is,

That's probably enough reason to remove them.

> it was
> probably invented in those ancient times when dinosaurs walked by
> streets, but I kinda like these "ends here" things :-)
>
> The only purpose I see in using them: you can be sure that there will
> not appear redundant newlines (introduced by untidy commits) in the end
> of files.

I speculate it's that when you print source code out you know that you are not
missing a sheet when you take them with you. Doesn't really serve a purpose now
(also, diff tools show you if you forget the newline before the end of file -
also many editors do, even nano).

That said, touching it at all causes churn - not sure what the upside is.