guix-devel

Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 09:25:42 +1000

On 26/10/16 21:51, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

What they suggest is to add Guix support simply by using Guix inside of
Docker…  Obviously, I’m not a fan of this because of how inelegant this
all seems.  When it comes to bringing Guix to Galaxy I think we have
cultural problems to overcome, not really technical issues.
Well, if this approach allows us to demonstrate the improvements Guix
can bring (and to sidestep the cultural differences), it may be a good
idea to try it.

Has anyone ever managed to get Guix to work inside docker? I attempted it as I intend on submitting some applications to kbase[0,1], where developers submit docker files to run their applications within the "narrative" interface i.e. web-facing interfaces to bioinformatic tools. I failed I think because of docker's single-process restriction. Using the attached (straightforward) dockerfile it fails at this step:

RUN echo "nohup ~root/.guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild &" > /tmp/daemon-script.sh
RUN bash /tmp/daemon-script.sh; guix pull
guix pull: error: build failed: cloning builder process: Operation not permitted

That seems to suggest that we cannot run the daemon inside a docker container, so I suppose we'd have to fall back on copying files from a store built outside docker-land, right?

Thanks, ben

[0]: http://kbase.us/
[1]: https://github.com/kbase/user_docs/blob/master/kbase-architecture.md