guix-devel

Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix on clusters and in HPC
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 13:39:03 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> Wrote down a way to distribute software using containers and tar ;)
>
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/DISTRIBUTE.org

Pretty cool indeed!

Recently I thought we could extract the ‘self-contained-tarball’
function you quoted and make it a bit more generic so that we can use it
for a ‘guix package’ command:

  $ guix pack guix   # same as ‘make guix-binary.x86_64.tar.gz’
  /gnu/store/…-guix.tar.gz

  $ guix pack emacs
  /gnu/store/…-emacs.tar.gz

>From there, we might even be able to do something like:

  $ guix package --format=docker --entry-point=emacs emacs

(See <https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/image/spec/v1.md>.)

Ludo’.