guix-devel

Re: Debugging and source code

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Debugging and source code
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 04:03:27 +0000

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:41:09PM +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 14:22:48 +0100
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
> > Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> > > Since we allow for debug symbols using :debug (great feature!),
>
> Aha? Why's that not available in our icecat package? I have to find out how
> it's done elsewhere and copy it :)

The beauty of it that it is already there - at least for the gnu build
system. Just add the debug output.

> > You can always get the right source code by running “guix build -S
> > package”.
> >
> > OTOH having the source directly in the “debug” (or “source”?) output as
> > you suggest would be more convenient.
> >
> > The only downside is the extra size of the “debug” output.  Most of the
> > time that’s a price people are happy to pay when they are installing the
> > “debug” output.  But sometimes maybe not.
>
> Ahhh that's a difficult call. I think it would be best if we collected some
> statistics before we decided that. For example how big is the source code of
> a package versus the binary? On average? Depending on the language? How many
> % of the total size is the source code?

If we add debug output by default I suppose we don't have to
distribute binary packages. Likewise an output with source code
included. That means there would be no cost involved other than
building and testing.