guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:05:04 +0100

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 01:56:04PM +0100, David Craven wrote:
     > I think if you posit a free software project that works in the way you
     > describe ("on its own"), it would work very much like Guile works
     > right now.

     An operating system has to work on all hardware. Asking people to buy a
     RYF approved device to run guixsd is no different than apple requiring you
     to buy an apple computer to run mac os x. Turning guixsd into an embedded
     system for RYF devices is not something I want to spend time and effort
on. I
     can't with good conscience recommend to people to buy a usb wifi adapter to
     use guixsd when I believe they have much larger privacy issues in their
devices.

So far as I'm aware, nobody has ever said that Guix may not run on devices
which are not
RYF approved.  I have indeed run it quite sucessfully on devices which are not.

     To be comfortable contributing to a free project I need to know that
people are
     able to do whatever THEY want, with those contributions, and not what the
FSF
     wants.

I agree.  And I think that both Guix and the FSF has been very carefull not to
impose any usage restrictions on users. (there have been calls to add
restrictions
forbidding use by military/nuclear/extremist-political groups but those have
been
definitively rejected.)

With the single exception of preventing a third party doing whatever they want,
people ARE able to do with it whatever they want.   Is it this exception you
are concerned about or somthing else?

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3