guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:47:58 +0100

> unless they force or persuade other people to use non-free software as well

I hope this isn't a reference to the raspberry pi firmware. If you are
talking about this firmware [0], it boots Linux since the 3rd of Jan
2017. I do not follow the developments closely, but I hardly think
that this is something that can be recommended to a "non technical
user", but maybe you have a different opinion. In any case if I
recommend non-free firmware over a free counter part it is most likely
because I'm not aware that there is a usable alternative. In this
particular case I have not tried the firmware itself, and in any case
- bringing up a device with the existing stable firmware is a
prerequisite for further experimentation.

But you are right, I did not ask the user if he was ok with using the
raspberry pi exclusively over a uart cable without usb, ethernet or
video.

[0]
https://github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware/commit/34db573a45a03c9ba1bd11788a6cbaf5507faa53