guix-devel

Re: gnu-patches back log

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: gnu-patches back log
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 17:14:53 +0100

Hi Pjotr!

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> Now we have debbugs we can see there is a building back-log:
>

> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=guix-patches;max-bugs=100;base-order=1;bug-rev=1
>
> A patch like this one
>
>   https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25725
>
> has been two weeks without comment. I think we should not leave patches
> without
> feedback longer than one week - even 3 days, to be honest. It is the surest
> way
> to kill enthusiasm.

I’ll echo what others wrote: we don’t want to put more pressure on those
who do that review work.  The last thing I’d want is someone burning out
because of that; it’s already hard enough, believe me.

However, we should try hard to balance the review workload more evenly
among the 30 committers.  I’m not sure how to incentivize that, though;
some projects add Reviewed-by tags and then publish stats; would that
help?  A reviewer’s hall of a fame?  :-)

And of course, we should have more committers.

> Would it be an idea to send out weekly E-mails with patches that had
> no attention to a select list of reviewers? Or maybe to the ML as a
> whole? Basically it would read:

Personally I would not use that, but if others want it, we should
set it up!

Thanks,
Ludo’.