guix-devel

Re: Using cuirass to build your own manifest.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Using cuirass to build your own manifest.
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 13:37:13 +0100

Hi!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> Here's a small tutorial on how to setup cuirass to build your own
> manifest.
>
> I see two major reasons for this kind of setup:
>
> * When you pull latest guix, hydra and bayfront may not have finished
>   building all the packages you use.
>
> * Hydra and bayfront won't build your custom packages.
>
> For this reasons I installed cuirass to build my manifest, using a
> configuration very similar to the one used on bayfront
> (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/bayfront.scm).

This is a very cool hack!

It might make sense to turn it into a service in GuixSD proper, because
I suspect it’s a use case that people may be interested in.  So you
would write, say:

  (service auto-build-service
           (auto-build-service-configuration
             (manifest (local-file …))
             (load-path '("/home/alice/…"))))

and it would do the right thing.  WDYT?

BTW, I think it’s the kind of experience report that would be worth
turning into a blog post on our web site.  It’s always interesting to
see how people solve specific problems with the tools.

Thanks!

Ludo’.