guix-devel

Re: Using cuirass to build your own manifest.

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Using cuirass to build your own manifest.
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 20:17:47 +0100

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> writes:

> Here's a small tutorial on how to setup cuirass to build your own
> manifest.

Amazing work! :)

> I see two major reasons for this kind of setup:
>
> * When you pull latest guix, hydra and bayfront may not have finished
>   building all the packages you use.
>
> * Hydra and bayfront won't build your custom packages.

This is definitely a use case that I expect to be common so I agree with
Ludo that would make sense to make a service for that.

> To finish, the downsides of this setup are :
> * You need to keep your manifest up-to-date on your build machine.

Do you have ideas/suggestions on how to improve that?

> * There are no easy ways to track cuirass status but to do some sql on
> cuirass database.

With the HTTP API that I hope will be implemented this summer, the
situation would hopefully be better.

Thank you for this tutorial.  This is really useful given the current
state of Cuirass documentation.  ;)

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37