guix-devel

Re: Being excellent to one another

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Being excellent to one another
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:40:07 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 03:27:48PM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     Howdy!

     John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:

     > As I recall, their request was that I always use "singular they" and
never to
     > mention other possible alternatives to anyone.  I acknowledge their
request and
     > recognise their every right to make it.  But I feel no obligation to
comply with
     > their request.  Ng0's reaction to my declining, I interpreted to mean
that they
     > considered it not to be a request, but a demand.  If this interpretation
was
     > wrong, then I apologise to them.

     John, I think you???re playing on words here.

I'm glad you noticed!   If you (or anyone else wishes) I will retype the
above text using the pronoun of your choice, because I mean what I say.

     In this case, what matters is respecting the other participant who
     explicitly asked to be referred to using non-gendered pronouns.  It???s a
     very simple request; honoring it costs us nothing but it can make a big
     difference to this person.

I fully agree.  And I have already said that I have no problem with that, and
will do so without argument.

     I don???t want anyone of us to make someone else???s life harder by
     disregarding what they present as important to them.

Nobody should ever set out to make the life of another person harder.  Also,
nobody should ever start believing that what is important to them  must take
priority over what is important to another.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3