guix-devel

Re: Please put the system-configuration into the image

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Please put the system-configuration into the image
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 11:20:50 +0200

Am 07.09.2017 um 10:30 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> However, I don’t quite understand the use case: you’d like to hack on
> the OS declaration of the image from within the image?  That sounds
> inconvenient no?

My use case is this:

I plan to use GuixSD for one of my systems. Prior to installing GuixSD
on real hardware, I want to test it and see how a GuixSD system would
work and feel. And taking the perspective of a non-developer, I don't
have any GuixSD yet. I may be using Fedora or Debian and want to try out
GuixSD. For this I use the QEMU image

My understanding is that I would have a system-definition describing
this very system and if I want to change the system-configuration, I
change the system-definition. On e.g. Debian I would apt-get software
and change config-files, while on GuixSD I would change the
system-definition and reconfigure.

And I imagine to have the corresponding system-definition *in* the
system, since in this use-case there is no separate "main GuixSD
installation". Like when using ansible, puppet, etc. for managing *this*
system, I need the system definition *for* this system *in* this system.

I hope this is clearer now.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel