guix-devel

Re: Please put the system-configuration into the image

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Please put the system-configuration into the image
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 22:48:13 +0200

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

> If somebody is downloading the ISO-image and installing GuixSD on some
> machine – stand-alone, no other GuixSD systems around: He/she would
> store the system-config somewhere on the machine, change it and
> "reconfigure" and hack around. (At least this is what I would do.) So
> why there is no starting-point for system-config in the image? Why would
> the user need to download it from some (no quite obvious) internet-address?

As a user, you do *not* want to use the installation OS¹ as a template
for your own system: it’s way too specific to a live installation image
and more complicated than a “regular” system.

Instead, you’ll want to use one of the three templates that are
provided.  They’re in the manual² (which is on tty2 when you’re
installing), and also in /etc/configuration during the installation.  No
need to download them from a non-obvious internet address.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Lud’.

¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/install.scm#n296