guix-devel

Re: [Geiser-users] geiser-xref-callers does not seem to work

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] geiser-xref-callers does not seem to work
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:52:12 +0100

On Mon, Jan 29 2018, Andy Wingo wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Great to hear from you jao :)

likewise :)

> On Sat 27 Jan 2018 17:41, "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> hmmm, i was investigating this.  the cause geiser fails is that, in the
>> process of looking for other things, it's not able to find
>> `program-arities', exported by (system vm program).  i am not sure why:
>
> Weird.  Apologies for this, the function just doesn't exist.  While
> program-arity exists and calls it, program-arity itself isn't called.  I
> think this is detritus of refactoring :(
>
> The facility that Guile uses now for arities is find-program-arity from
> (system vm debug).  It takes an address as an argument.  Pass
> (program-code prog) if you know you have a program.  The issue is that
> with Guile 2.2 there is code that doesn't necessarily have a
> corresponding program object.  For example a function defined in a local
> context whose callers can be enumerated by the compiler can be called by
> label instead of by value, and in that case the "closure" of the
> function can be specialized to be e.g. a vector instead of a closure
> object.  So while you always have an address, you don't always have a
> program object.

makes sense, i think i can work from there.

> Relatedly, you ask about program-module.  This one is sadly no longer
> available.  I suspect it is not coming back either :/  I think you have
> to fall back on mapping procedures to files, and files to modules.

i've figured out how to find the filename for a procedure, but i'm
missing what is probably the easier part: give the latter, how do i get
hold of the module object?

> You might find a look to (system vm debug) to be useful for Geiser
> purposes.  Note also that the interface to local variables and stack
> frames changed slightly too; see (system vm frame).

yes, i'm reviewing all this.  i suspect some other geiser functionality
might have been affected by all this.  thanks for the update!

cheers,
jao
--
A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built
for. -Grace Hopper (1906-1992)