guix-devel

Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Errors encountered in building guix from source.
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:20:40 +0300

Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:

>> What do you mean by disable?  You could invoke it at any time with a
>> clean Bash session.  Also I would recommend to search for a Fedora's
>> Bash feature for installing programms if a command is missing and
>> disable/remove it.

>> Fedora's folks probably could help this it.

Also I see people with Fedora use Guix, because there are several
repositories [1] with RPM packages to install Guix in Fedora.  So I
really recommend to chat or mail with Fedora community.

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> It means stop sourcing guix-profile/etc/profile at .bash_profile, and
> use packages from Fedora's repo rather than guix.

Well, you could come back at any time.  Always welcome!

> I tried nix a little before I met guix, I did noticed they don't
> export this much environment variables in its profile file, they just
> wrap/patch those needed programms. I tried to compare nix with guix by
> installing a similar set of packages from both platform. On the nix
> side, the only non-prefixed environment variable exported is PATH,
> while guix exported lots of other envs. (Not exactly the same the same
> set of packages, but the comparison does not loss it's meaning).

> Those exported envs are real problem on a foreign distribution.

Sorry, I don't see a problem because of environment variables in the
current case.  What I see is an issue with a foreign distro itself.
Particularly a program called PackageKit-command-not-found [2] which you
could remove with `sudo dnf remove PackageKit-command-not-found`.

> I will post the profile files in another thread latter if its helpful.

It maybe be helpful.  Thank you!

Footnotes:
[1]  https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/fulltext/?fulltext=guix
[2]  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackageKitCommandNotFound