guix-devel

Re: Orchestration working group (before: Guix orchestration notes)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Orchestration working group (before: Guix orchestration notes)
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 21:42:29 +0100

Devan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Pjotr Prins transcribed 0.6K bytes:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> That was a lengthy writeup, thanks :). I think the first step is to
>> think in terms of (container/VM) provisioning. Then build that up towards
>> orchestration and workflows.
>
> I agree. I think a good start would be figuring out ways to
> essentially replace what you can do with Dockerfiles. Which to me
> mainly means having the ability to arbitrarily copy files into, and
> further manipulate the tarballs made from using `guix pack`.

With "guix pack", you can already create a Docker image that contains
arbitrary files.  Just define whatever packages you need in order to
install the things you want, and "guix pack --format=docker" will create
a Docker image of exactly what you declare, without building upon any
existing Docker image.  Is this different from what you had in mind?

Once "guix system docker-image" gets added, you will be able to do the
same thing for an entire GuixSD system:

Chris