guix-devel

Re: Looking for Thunderbird/Icedove

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Looking for Thunderbird/Icedove
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 15:05:29 -0400

Hi Nils,

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Björn Höfling transcribed 1.2K bytes:
>
>> Are there any more recent news on the Thunderbird side? Does anyone have
>> more-or-less ready snippets available?
>
> I can not post the link to straight-out of the box Thunderbird here
> (current repository is against the policy in Guix), but if you really
> want to work on it I can send you the link offlist (just contact me at
> address@hidden).

Did someone tell you that you shouldn't post a preliminary
Thunderbird/Icedove package definition to this mailing list?
If so, can you show me the email?

It's true that we shouldn't post package definitions for nonfree
software on the Guix mailing lists.  However, Thunderbird/Icedove has
only a couple of known freedom issues which have apparently already been
addressed in Parabola GNU/Linux:

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#Thunderbird

Given that a GNU FSDG compliant version of Thunderbird/Icedove already
exists, and that we could surely apply the same fixes to our package, I
see no problem with you posting your preliminary package definition.
Please do so.  It would enable other interested developers to continue
your work.

    Regards,
      Mark